Saturday, February 25, 2012

Maiden Voyage & First Review

Unfurl the sails and unleash the adjectives! Its time for the first Avast Ye Pirates Blog from yours truly, Rockin' Ron the Friendly Pirate. As I say in my song 'FP Rap (Pirates on Board Go RRR!)', "I don't have a sword and I don't have a knife, I roll like a Pirate but I roll real nice". What I mean is that I am family-freindly fellow, but by jove, I'm also a Pirate. On this Blog I will explore various topics related to the world of Pirates. Below is my first review, which I posted on Amazon. Until next time... Fair Winds & Following Seas.  

5.0 out of 5 stars Roger McGuinn's CCD gets an A!, February 24, 2012


This review is from: Ccd (Audio CD)
As a singing pirate, the first buccaneer ballad that inspired me was Roger McGuinn's `Jolly Roger'. I then discovered sea-faring songs buried like treasure on Byrds' albums. Soon, `John Riley' and Jack Tarr the Sailor (which closely resembles `Go to Sea Once More' from CCD) also became favorites.

Therefore, me timbers shivered with excitement when I read in Mojo magazine that the legendary Mr. McGuinn was releasing an album of sea chanteys. I alternately like and dislike the title CCD. The pun of sea and `c' is nifty, but referring to a transitory format is naught. That is my only quibble.

McGuinn has created a sumptuous sounding group of songs. Acoustic guitar is to the fore (foci's) and he uses what sounds like electric guitar for texture on several tracks. Banjo is also prominent, but it is never overbearing and it fits the material perfectly. He sings the songs with a sailor's knowing and his trademark harmony vocals are the breezes that fill the sails.

Most of the songs will be familiar to maritime music buffs. `Drunken Sailor', `Let the Bullgine Run', and `Spanish Ladies' are among the 23 traditional songs on board. Two of the songs have new music and lyrics by McGuinn. My favorite song is `Back to Sea' with the rousing line, "her topsail's blowing free".

A reason to buy the CD of CCD is the sleek and classy package. Along with ship images and a picture of the artist, there are annotations for all the songs.

If you are a fan of sea chanteys, folk music, the Byrds, and of course, McGuinn's solo work, you will love CCD! Jolly GREAT Roger!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment